We’re no strangers to extreme temperatures and dry weather in Fort Worth, and our lips are proof. Most of us experience chapped lips at some point during the year; it’s not uncommon to see lips suffering from annoying, painful cracks. Here at Fort Worth Cosmetic and Family Dentistry we keep abreast of the oral health needs of Fort Worth, so here are a few tips from Dr. Nikki Green about how to keep your lips healthy, kissable, and free to eat and drink whatever you crave!
Do You Have Dry, Chapped, or Cracked Lips?
Not sure? Here are some telltale signs:
- Sensitive or painful lips
- Smiling hurts
- You lick your lips often
- Your lips show clear signs of peeling or cracking
- You bleed from the corners of your mouth
- You have open sores or marks on your lips
How to Get Rid of Cracked Lips
Dry, chapped, and cracked lips can be caused by environmental factors, such as climate change, sun damage, and wind exposure. Cracked lips can also be the result of skin disorders, medication side effects, and allergic reactions. Serious conditions such as Sjogren’s syndrome, diabetes, or sexually transmitted infections (STIs) may also cause chronic dry lip problems.
If you are a Fort Worth resident that is unaffected by the conditions listed above but still have chapped lips, it could be due to dehydration, smoking cigarettes, chewing tobacco, spicy food, or poorly-fitted dental appliances.
Here are some tips from Dr. Nikki Green for healing your cracked lips:
- Stay hydrated! Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day and be aware of anything else you drink that will dehydrate you, such as alcohol.
- Use ointments often, especially before you go to bed. Avoid lip balms with eucalyptus and menthol.
- Don’t lick your lips! As saliva evaporates from your lips, natural moisture is removed. Licking your lips often will dry out your lips even more.
- Don’t overuse commercial skin treatments such as heavily flavored lip balms and other lip cosmetics.
- Eat right! Diets lacking in Vitamins A, B, C, B2, and E can contribute to cracked lips.
- Visit Dr. Nikki Green twice per year for your routine checkups and cleanings.
If you are having issues with cracked lips, we can help you during your visits and make sure that you go home armed with instructions on keeping your lips moist and healthy. Contact Fort Worth Cosmetic and Family Dentistry to schedule an appointment today!